The Palestinian Centre for Democracy and Conflict Resolution (PCDCR) held a workshop entitled “The Role of Reconciliation Figures in Strengthening Juvenile Justice in the Gaza Strip”. This workshop was a part of Juvenile Justice’s project activities funded by Terre Des Hommes and it aimed to provide legal and social services for the Juveniles who are in conflict with the law.
The Workshop discussed a worksheet by Mr. Mohammed Anaba about “The Role of Reconciliation Committees in dealing with juvenile cases. In addition, a worksheet was introduced by Mr. Younis Al-Tahrawi, PCDCR’s Legal Unit’s Coordinator, and it was about the restorative justice and the necessity of its implementation.
A number of recommendation were proposed through the discussion which included the followings:
- Activating the role of reconciliation figures to prevent children from committing a crime by monitoring their actions and addressing the reasons that can lead them to commit crimes such as poverty, and lack of suitable house.
- Intensifying the responsibility of the Palestinian state in caring about the juveniles cases in all life-oriented economic, social, and cultural.
- Taking into account the balance of forces between the conflicting parties by the reconciliation figures while the restorative process.
- Having a better and essential communication between the police man and the reconciliation figure when receiving any complain in order to prevent any acceleration in the problem.
- Considering the juvenile as a society victim which meant that he should not be sentenced to imprisonment or penalty. Therefore, it is enough to put the juvenile under the monitoring of a good member in his family. In the case of absence of this kind of family member, juvenile can be put under the monitoring of a probation officer in Al-Rabea’ Association.
- Reforming the juvenile’s laws in order to consist with modernity and development and to treat the juvenile as a victim rather than a criminal according to law.
- Dealing with juveniles should be different from dealing with adults and juveniles should had a special uniform in Al-Rabea’ Assocaition.
- The necessity of having a special police for juveniles in Gaza Strip which should have the skills and knowledge in dealing with juveniles. The policemen should not wear their formal uniform.
- Establishing entertainment places for children to spend their free time for their own benefit and to prevent them from committing crimes.
- Developing reconciliation figures’ skills in dealing with juveniles through training and having better knowledge about the law.
- Proving a social assurance to the head of the family to provide the basic needs to his/her family.
- Providing awareness projects to the parents about their roles in protecting their children and preventing them from committing crimes. In addition, to activating reconciliation figures role in disseminating the culture of tolerance and good manners.
- Separating juveniles from adults while detaining them and judging should be done quickly to protect our children from committing crimes.